Featured Post

Click Here for Excerpts (and Reviews) for New Book

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Kenny's Dead

NYT with piece tonight on a legendary Greenwich Village club closing--and it has some history for me, too.  It's Kenny's Castaways and it hosted a wide range of acts over the years, often unknowns but also, at times, Patti Smith and The Fugees, among others, as the story notes.

But before it landed in the Village, near where I lived for many years, it dwelled on the unhip Upper East Side, and it was there I saw my first full Bruce Springsteen show, on the night of Dec. 7, 1972.   The sign outside read: "Bruce Springstein."  Actually I'd met him earlier that day--inside Sing Sing Prison.  But that's another story: See my video below, on meeting him and then helping write the first-ever magazine piece about him.

No comments: